Our Economic Contribution
The Canadian dairy sector is a dynamic and consistent contributor in every province; there’s reinvestment and spin-offs throughout the agri-food value chain and social fabric of Canada’s rural communities.
- Dairy is one of the top two agricultural sectors in 7 of 10 Canadian provinces.
- The sector's GDP contribution has increased from $18.9 billion in 2013 to $19, 9 billion in 2016
- Jobs have changed, decreasing at the farm level and increasing in value-added processing level, remaining around 220,936.
- Canadian dairy farms shipped 8.2 billion litres in 2015, up from 7.6 billion litres of milk in 2009.
- In 2015, the Canadian dairy industry contributed $3.8B in local, provincial and federal taxes.
- In 2015, Canadians spend less than 10% of disposable income on food, one of the lowest in the world (1.00% on dairy)