Our Economic Contribution
The Canadian dairy sector is a dynamic and consistent contributor in every province; there’s reinvestment and spin-offs throughout the agri-food value chain and social fabric of Canada’s rural communities.
- Dairy is one of the top two agricultural sectors in 7 of 10 Canadian provinces.
- The sector’s GDP contribution has increased from $15.2 B in 2009 to $18.9 B in 2013.
- Jobs have changed, decreasing at the farm level and increasing in value-added processing level, remaining around 215,000.
- Canadian dairy farms shipped 7.8 billion litres in 2013, up from 7.6 billion litres of milk in 2009.
- In 2013, the Canadian dairy industry contributed $3.6B in local, provincial and federal taxes.
- Canadians spend less than 10% of disposable income on food, one of the lowest in the world (1.03% on dairy).
Quebec (French only):